Texas West Nile Outbreak

west nile virus-Texas NewsLatest Texas News– There is a virus outbreak called West Nile Virus that is hitting the South so hard that Dallas County (Texas’ second most populated region and the place where the deadliest outbreak is located this year), for the first time in 50 years, will resort to aerial spraying of insecticide in order to target the mosquito-borne virus.

The areas that are most affected in the county are Northern Dallas, Highland Park and the University Park and five planes have been requested to spray these affected areas but approval of these actions are still pending.

The county also declared a health emergency with 89 severe cases confirmed out of 214 cases of illness called Neroinvasive West Nile. Deaths are also reported, according to the Texas Infectious Disease Control Unit, eight out of fifteen deaths are from Dallas County.

They say spraying is quite controversial due to the spreading of chemicals in a vast area and it is still not clear to whether it can stop the West Nile Virus or not. But the virus cases and increasing number of deaths are quite high with the virus’ peak season only just begun.

 

Outbreaks often occur in local areas and factors like weather, heat, rain and the number of mosquitoes that carries the virus, bird population that maintain it and human behavior. Whatever the reason is people should be notified and be alert to take action in order to keep their family safe and virus free.

80% of the people infected with the West Nile Virus don’t have any symptoms; however, the remaining 20% will experience fever, headache, body aches, joint pain, vomiting and even diarrhea. Neurological illness like encephalitis or meningitis is quite rare but 10% of those infected will die.

There are no vaccines yet to prevent the said virus and specific treatment for the symptoms but people with mild symptoms will eventually recover over time. Severe cases requires hospitalization for proper medication and older people who also have medical conditions other than the virus have a higher risk for severe illness.

Avoiding mosquito bites is the Best Tip to prevent the spreading of virus if you are   travelling for a vacation in Texas. The Texas Department of State Health Services recommends residents and tourist to take earlier action by:

  • Having an approved insect repellent every time there is an outing and eating delicious Texas Food. An approved repellent contains DEET, Picaridin or oil of lemon Eucalyptus.
  • Draining water that has collected in empty cans, tires, buckets, and gutters on a daily basis. Stagnant water is where the mosquitoes breed. Local Council must set aside Texas Politics and work hand in hand for the welfare of the people.
  • Wearing clothes that cover your arms and legs (clothes with long sleeves and pants) especially at dawn and dusk.

Making sure that all windows and doors have screens to keep the mosquitoes from entering your home and business in Texas.

For your latest and hottest news about Texas visit http://www.texanpost.com

Seven Best Tips To Avoid The West Nile Virus

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s